Canadian Taxable Benefits & Allowances will show you how to avoid the most common compliance issues found in the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenu Québec (RQ) audits. Throughout this course, an additional focus will be placed on one of the most common audit issues: excluding taxable benefits and allowances from employment income.
Learn Canadian Payroll I
- Recognize taxable benefits
- Understand sales tax issues
- Understand automobile benefits and allowances
- Identify other benefits and allowances
is an introduction to the payroll function designed for new staff with no or limited exposure to payroll, or those returning to payroll after a break. Learn about processing and reporting requirements, and the payroll practitioner's key role in statutory withholding and remittance.
Learn Canadian Payroll II
- Identify concepts of the roles and responsibilities of payroll compliance
- Identify whether a worker is an employee or independent contractor
- Describe basic employment standards
- Recognize common taxable benefits and allowances
- Understand the basic concepts of payroll deductions
- Calculate manually to produce a net pay
expands on the concepts from Learn Canadian Payroll I by exploring more complex processes and government requirements. This interactive, exercise-based seminar covers the fundamentals of irregular payments, government remittance and reporting, along with basic termination information and how to complete the ROE.
- Calculate and produce irregular payments using the bonus tax method
- Best practices and procedures for correcting payroll
- Identify, classify and calculate statutory remittances to Canada Revenue Agency and Revenu Quebec
- Describe, categorize and evaluate other government reporting such as health taxes and workers compensation premiums
- Determine the termination notice based on province of employment
- Prepare the Record of Employment (ROE) form
These two-day seminars provide opportunities to ask questions, network with other professionals, and learn from best practice examples. Valuable take home materials for Learn Canadian Payroll I include Setting-up A New Payroll Checklist and Learn Canadian Payroll I materials; for Learn Canadian Payroll II, Learn Canadian Payroll II materials.
Register Online | Print Order Form
As a courtesy, this course is offered at one price for everyone.
Who Should Attend
- New staff with no or limited exposure to Canadian payroll and junior payroll staff
- Practitioners returning to the Canadian payroll field
- Other professionals who have functional responsibility for Canadian payroll (bookkeepers, accountants, and HR professionals)
- Suppliers providing Canadian payroll services to corporate customers.
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. EDT
Canadian Taxable Benefits & Allowances: August 25 - 26, 2022, Last day to register: August 12
Learn Canadian Payroll I: August 31 - September 1, 2022, Last day to register: August 19
Learn Canadian Payroll II: September 7 - 8, 2022, Last day to register: August 26
For each course: earn up to 7.5 Recertification Credit Hours (RCHs) or 0.75 Continuing Education Units (CEU) when attending this course. Not Eligible for CPE credit.
Important!! Audio for this online session is streamed directly through your computer or electronic device. Participants will not be provided with a dial-in number.
Please test check your system BEFORE you register. Make sure you are connected via your local desktop (not through your company's server) to perform this test and view the future presentation. Click here
to test your system and for troubleshooting tips.
Event Policies and Health and Safety Procedures
Please read our Event Policies regarding registration, transfers, substitutions, cancellations, refunds, travel arrangements, and consent to use your photograph and contact information, and our
Health and Safety Procedures, which require attendees to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or negative COVID-19 test for our in-person events.
Please be sure to verify your session before purchasing.
A $55 administrative fee will be assessed for each transfer/substitution.