Learning Payroll I
is an introduction to the payroll function designed for new staff with no or limited exposure to payroll, or those returning to payroll after a break. Learn about processing and reporting requirements, and the payroll practitioner's key role in statutory withholding and remittance.
This course provides an introduction to the payroll function. Learn about establishing the employee-employer relationship, hiring a new employee, employment standards requirements, taxable benefits and allowances along with the payroll practitioner's key role in withholding statutory deductions from employment income.
Learning Payroll II
expands on the concepts from Learning Payroll I by exploring more complex processes and government requirements. This interactive, exercise-based seminar covers the fundamentals of irregular payments, government remittance and reporting, along with basic termination information and how to complete the ROE.
These full-day seminars provide opportunities to ask questions, network with other professionals, and learn from best practice examples. Valuable take home materials for Level I include Setting-up A New Payroll Checklist
and Learning Payroll I
printed material; for Level II, Learning Payroll II
This seminar is presented with the cooperation of The Canadian Payroll Association.
Register Online | Print Order Form
- Identify concepts of the roles and responsibilities of payroll compliance
- Identify whether a worker is an employee or independent contractor
- Describe basic employment standards
- Recognize common taxable benefits and allowances
- Understand the basic concepts of payroll deductions
- Calculate manually to produce a net pay
- Calculate and produce irregular payments using the bonus tax method
- Best practices and procedures for correcting payroll
- Identify, classify and calculate statutory remittances to Canada Revenue Agency and Revenu Quebec
- Describe, categorize and evaluate other government reporting such as health taxes and workers compensation premiums
- Determine the termination notice based on province of employment
- Prepare the Record of Employment (ROE) form
Who Should Attend
- New staff with no or limited exposure to payroll and junior payroll staff
- Practitioners returning to the payroll field
- Other professionals who have functional responsibility for payroll (bookkeepers, accountants, and HR professionals)
- Suppliers providing payroll services to corporate customers.
8:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. PT
Level I: August 20, Last day to register: August 16
Level II: August 21, Last day to register: August 17
8:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET
Level I: September 2, Last day to register: August 27
Level II: September 3, Last day to register: August 28
Earn up to 7.5 Recertification Credit Hours (RCHs) or 0.75 Continuing Education Units (CEU) when attending this course. Not Eligible for CPE credit.
Sound for this online session is streamed directly through your computer or electronic device. Participants will not be provided with a dial-in number.
Please test check your system BEFORE you register. Make sure you are connected via your local desktop (not through your company's server) to perform this test and view the future presentation. Click here to test your system and for troubleshooting tips.
Please read our policies regarding registration, transfers, substitutions, cancellations, refunds, travel arrangements, and consent to use your photograph and contact information.
Please be sure to verify your class session before purchasing.
A $55 administrative fee will be assessed for each transfer/substitution, including changes from live to on demand sessions.